Monday, December 19 I am going in for what I am anticipating will be my last surgery for quite some time – breast reconstruction. As much as I look forward to feeling like this process will be complete, it is almost bittersweet as I realize that there truly have been advantages to this warrior chest of mine. Allow me to share…
- The chances of me developing breast cancer (due to my BRACA1 gene) have practucally been obliterated.
- Instantly made me look more fit and feel like a ballerina when I look in the mirror and see my posture.
- Wow does it make running/working out easier….except for the bench press, suddenly that bar has to come down a lot further to get to my chest.
- It is such a relief to be able to take the boobs off at the end of the day, when I am too hot, or they are just in the way.
- I can pick out which boobs (prosthetics) I want to wear in a day – my cozy “knitted knockers” for a cold day, cotton ones for simplicity if wearing my mastectomy camisole, or my medical prosthetics for a more natural look. (Check out knittedknickersab.com – especially if you or someone you love has had a mastectomy or perhaps you are a knitter that would like to help out) .
- I don’t have to worry about finding a blouse or jacket that will close nicely without pulling over my chest or making me feel like I am wearing a tent.
- My golf swing definitely improved this year.
- Massage tables are suddenly comfortable!
- I don’t have weighty bra straps digging in to my shoulders.
- I no longer need to be measured for a proper bra and will be able to buy them wherever I want (as I did when I was an ‘H’ cup).
- There is no longer embarrassment about crumbs or drips catching on my “shelf” for later.
- I haven’t had the discomfort of my boobs landing in my armpits when lying on my back.
- My torso seems so much longer when looking in a mirror without boobs hanging halfway down my chest.
- I can see my toes!
- I can carry a purse with the strap across my chest and my seatbelt stays where it should be.
- I don’t have to worry about embarrassing nipplitis.
- I can truly get close and tuck in for a hug.
- Men have actually found the location of my eyes when talking to them.
- I can wear a long necklace without feeling that it is awkwardly looping my boob.
- And perhaps my favorite – I love being able to lay my hand upon my chest to closely feel my beautiful heart beating beneath!💖
One thought on “Top Things I Have Enjoyed About My Mastectomy Chest”
What a beautiful attitude… I can identify with where you’re coming from as I’m an H, too. Had a scare a year ago. Turned out to be a hematoma from banging the lid of the washer on a bra-less boob! I was much relieved. Congratulations on maneuvering your way through it all. You are a real inspiration. ❤